Monday, March 7, 2011

Walk Down Amnesia Lane

I first heard of the band They Might Be Giants on a road trip to the midwinter youth conference from a friend I really looked up to named Rob. I was thirteen at the time and They Might Be Giants smacked of something cool, and grown-up, and somewhat forbidden. This isn't to say that music was forbidden in my house or anything, far from it. But this was something that high school and college kids listened to and TMBG was closely associated with what was still a totally radical MTV. Oh days of the early nineties, when neon was still exciting and Clarissa was still able to explain everything. Even though TMBG existed before and will continue to exist after my childhood, a reasonable facsimile of the group will always reside in that place.


Years later I still have a very strong love of They Might Be Giants. Currently they are among the groups that I have a coveted signed album from thanks to a show in Ann Arbor. They were promoting their new album Mink Car. The band has moved on to children's music as well as continuing their own geeky, subcultural, musical ambling. And it is a world that I still crave and appreciate. So thank you! To the band made up of John and John: I salute you!


They Might Be Giants - Istanbul (Not Constantinople) from They Might Be Giants on Vimeo.

No comments: